Thursday, May 29, 2008

Secrets for a Secret Pal

The questionnaire for the Secret Pal 12 swap is up! Since this is one way that Jenn and Robin will find me the perfect pal, I'm giving it my full attention. Here goes:


1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
Not a fan of acrylic, but any natural fibers are great. I enjoy handpainted yarns, especially sock weight

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
Two canisters (Lenox Village pattern) that lost their lids long ago. The Patisserie shop (sugar canister) holds straight needles and the Cafe (coffee canister) holds DPs. I use a CD album to hold my circs.

3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
My grandmother taught me when I was 8, which means that I've been knitting for 40 years. (wow, it feels old when you say it that way!) I guess I'd consider myself advanced at most things... there's certainly nothing (knitting-wise) that I'm not game to try!

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Only at the holidays

5. What's your favorite scent?
Donna Karan Cashmere Mist (of course!) and White Diamonds

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Is there such a thing as a non-favorite candy? (and while we're at it, why in the world would anyone put an expiration date on candy?... as if it could ever last that long!) If I had only one candy on that desert island, though, it would have to be dark chocolate (even better if it has orange or raspberries or nuts or something in it)

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I absolutely LOVE to spin! I love funky jewelry, although I haven't really done much jewelry-making, I think I'd enjoy it. I've also done a little bit of dyeing, but I still have lots to learn. I'm always up to try something new.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I like all different kinds of music, depending on my mood. Some of my favorites include Chris Botti, Andrea Boccelli, Bon Jovi, Santana, Clapton, Eva Cassidy, James Taylor and Nickelback (how's that for an eclectic mix?) And, yes, I can play MP3s and homemade CDs

9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
I seem to go through phases. Currently green/rust/maroon (Autumn-y) colors are appealing. Also the violet/blue mixes are nice. Nothing that I can think of that I hate on principle.

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
Married forever (ok, almost 24 years), three kids (14, 11 and 11) and two cats, Max & Lola

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
Hats, scarves or mittens are great. Ponchos don't work too well (I'm kind of busty)

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Socks are so quick and fun, who can resist? My favorite patterns are usually those that are kind of involved and challenging (I've made a couple of Dale of Norway baby sweaters that were a blast!)

13. What are you knitting right now?
Finishing up some socks and getting ready to start the Mystic Meadows shawl KAL. Plus assorted UFOs.

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
I LOVE handmade gifts. No one appreciates a handmade gift as much as someone who does handwork themselves.

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Depends on the project. I don't have any deep-seated preference for anything, although I'm not too fond of plastic needles (it bugs me when they get bent)

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
Yes, both, and I love them.

17. How old is your oldest UFO?
The oldest overall is a crewel project for a baby's wall hanging that I started about 25 years ago (long before I had any babies). Oldest knitting UFO is probably a dog sweater I started about 3 years ago and then decided I really hated the yarn

18. What is your favorite holiday?
Love 'em all... right down to Flag Day.... any excuse for a celebration works for me!

19. Is there anything that you collect?
You mean aside from yarn? Yes.... sheep (big surprise there, right?).. stuffed sheep, ceramic sheep, sheep ornaments...

20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I have a subscription to Interweave Knits. I also love Wild Fibers and Spin Off (but I don't subscribe to either. I love lace work and unusual patterns of any kind.

21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
From a knitting perspective, I can't think of anything I've heard of that I haven't tried. I'm always working to improve my spinning skills (which are still very elementary) and my dyeing skills (which are in their infancy!)

22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
Absolutely. Socks are an ideal way to try a new yarn or technique. My foot is 9.5" long and 8.5" around the ball.

23. When is your birthday?
December 24th (maybe that's where the fondness for holidays comes from!)

24. Are you on Ravelry? If so, what's your ID?
"On Ravelry" in the sense that I have an ID (Wink40) and I read a lot, but I haven't done any posting yet


Whew! All done...that felt like a bit of an ego trip (you now know more about me than people I have worked with for 10 years!). Hope you took notes... there'll be a quiz!

No comments:

/* Google analytics code */