Saturday, May 17, 2008

Fenway, Fiber and Confession

Let's begin at the beginning. I live in Massachusetts, and I happen to work with a very dear woman who is without question one of the most devoted Boston Red Sox fans you will ever meet. (and living in Massachusetts, that's saying a lot). Not only is Ana devoted to her beloved Sox, but she's an evangelist for her faith, and works hard to bring the uninitiated into the fold.

Here's where the confession comes in. I have never been to a game at Fenway Park. There. I said it. I feel much better. Yes, it's embarrassing (at least in this state) but it's true. I'm long past my 40th birthday, and never (until last night) stepped foot in Fenway Park. But Ana changed all that (You New Englanders can resume breathing now)

She and her husband invited my husband and me to join them for a game in Boston last night. Now, we live in the western part of the state, so a trip to Boston is about and hour-and-a-half, depending on traffic. With traffic, who knows? But what did we care? We had a sitter, the kids had put in their souvenir requests (#1 fingers were the item of the night) and we were good to go.

My darling husband, Don, loves photography and has every kind of lens, light and gadget there is. I, on the other hand, use a little Canon Elph that is small, convenient and takes perfectly respectable pictures for my needs. So, I was a little surprised when the big guy "borrowed" my camera for the evening. Apparently the Elph, she has her favorites, and she was not cooperating for hubby, so we have a number of pictures like this:



And this:



And fortunately, one or two like this:



While this last one is nice and clear (well, it is in full size... it does look a bit fuzzy when you shrink it), you'll notice quickly that there is no game being played. That is because it's pouring rain and about 50 degrees. Common sense would tell you that there would be no baseball in this weather, but common sense wouldn't take into account the amount of beer, hot dogs, Cracker Jacks and t-shirts that still had to be sold that night. And so, despite the forecast of rain for the rest of the evening, we sat and ate and shopped and tossed beach balls around for two hours until they decided to postpone the game.

Postpone it until tonight, that is. Tonight, when we don't have a sitter. Tonight, when there was already a game scheduled at 4:30. Tonight, when it may or may not rain again. So, the boys are playing the first game of their double-header right now, with the second scheduled for 8:30. What time it actually begins and how late it goes remain to be seen. I'll be seeing it on TV. From home. Bummer.

We did actually get one half-decent picture of the two of us, though, which was nice. (Don is apparently trying to catch the eye of the hot dog vendor)



On to something happier. I finished spinning and plying the Caribbean Adventure. Here's a look:



It's a nice color, but maybe not my best spinning. I spun the first ply with a short-draw and a woolen finish, smoothing each section as I went. For some reason (perhaps that extra glass of wine had something to do with it), by the time I got to the second half, I was practicing my long draw and (for the first time) getting a nice fluffy, even, woolen finish. Unusual, but it looks ok. We'll see how it all knits up.

No comments:

/* Google analytics code */