Sunday, September 7, 2008

Halloween Critters

I have to confess... Halloween is one of my most favorite holidays. There's something really fun about being scared... just a little bit. And not really scared, just kind of giggly scared, because you know that it isn't real. Which brings me to my current diversion. I found this book, Creepy Cute Crochet, by Christen Haden, at B&N the other day. I have since found out that Christen sells her patterns (as Needle Noodles) on Etsy and Ravelry, too.



Now, I'm not a huge fan of crochet. Mostly it's because crocheted clothes look...well...crocheted. It conjures up granny square afghans for me (having actually made a granny square vest back in the early 70's in hot pink, orange and lime green, I know what I'm talking about). I will agree that many of today's contemporary crochet designs have a lot more style than that vest, but for some reason, it's just not my thing. However.... these little critters (amigurumi, for the purists) are just too absolutely adorable to believe, and they have convinced me that a little hooking once in a while isn't such a bad thing.

Here's a look at the whole cast of characters for which there are instructions:



Too cute to believe, yes? Christen did her figures in Cotton Ease yarn, which is cheap and easy to find. And, of course, a skein makes quite a few characters, since they're only about 5" high. My kids immediately put in orders for a Knight, a Monkey (not sure I see the creepiness there... but he is cute) and a Grim Reaper. As usual (for me), they are all almost finished. The knight needs a felt sword, the Reaper needs a Sculpy scythe, and the Monkey needs a felt and embroidery face. But still.... very cute.



I put beanbag pellets in the bottom part of each figure, so they have a very satisfying weight to them, and they stand up quite nicely. Hopefully I'll get them finished up some time soon.

And finally, just for the heck of it, a gratuitous shot of Lola, lying on my daughter's tummy and making like a dog (forgive the "alien kitty" eyes... I've never figured out how to photograph animals without that). She loves to get her belly rubbed.... apparently no one ever told her that cats don't do this!

No comments:

/* Google analytics code */